Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My first blog post...

Hey guys :) so this is my first blog post. I have decided to start blogging so there is a place for people to keep up with my life since I don't post everything on Facebook.

This past summer, Dave Molchan (Youth Pastor at Venture Christian Church) asked me to go to Hume Lake with Venture to be a camp counselor for incoming freshmen girls for one week. I said sure I'd love to go because 1. I had a great experience at church camp growing up and 2. I love high schoolers (...hence I want to be a Youth Pastor someday...). I got to camp and was totally amazed at their program. It was super high energy, super fun and most importantly, centered around the Gospel and focused on leading the youth to Christ. By the end of my week there I knew that Hume Lake Christian Camps is exactly the kind of ministry that I ultimately want to be involved in. I got lots of affirmation from people telling me that they could totally see me working there and how I would be great at it. After lots of prayer and talking with my mom and close friends, I decided that I was going to apply for a full time position at Hume. At this point I really did not care what job I applied for at Hume, I just wanted to get there. To me, just getting a job there would be amazing and if I didn't get the job that I really wanted (which was anything directly related to the ministry), any job would be beneficial. I would be getting my foot in the door and getting to know people and hopefully, eventually working my way up towards a ministry position.

I applied in August and for two whole months, there was no answer. No call backs, no intereviews. Nothing. I honestly knew that some day I was going to work at Hume. God made that very clear. I took the silence to mean that I was just not supposed to work up there right now. And I was okay with that. I have been through a lot during my walk with God and I know that His ways are far better than our ways and if God said, "Not now" then I was going to trust His judgment.

On September 28th I was flying back home to Indiana for my dear friend's wedding. While sitting alone in the Dallas airport I decided to check my email...and there it was. An email from Andy Mather, Director of food services at Hume, saying that he was looking over my application and that he was interested in having a phone interview with me for a cooks position. My jaw dropped. You can imagine my excitement! I was shocked and totally excited at the same time but I had no one to share these emotions with. I thought about turning to the lady sitting one chair over from me and telling her my good news but then I knew she would probly think I was a crazy. I had to keep my screaming, jumping, and laughing to myself on the inside. That was so hard for me to do! So I emailed back and said that I was free to interview at his earliest convience.

I had my phone interview on Friday the 29th and it went so smoothly. I felt like I was talking to a wise friend, more than a boss. Andy was so nice, caring and encouraging. He said that he had emailed a few other people but he would get back with me as soon as he could to let me know if he wanted me to go up to Hume for a On Job Evaluation (OJE) and then an interview with the President and Vice President of Hume.

I spent the next week at Olivet praying hard and constantly checking my emails. Finally, about a week later I got a second email asking me to come up for the OJE and interview. I couldn't believe it! This was really happening. My next stresser was how was I going to get up there? I knew that my sister could not take that many days off work and all of my friends had work and school. When I called to tell my sister about everything that had happened, she said that I could drive her car and she would rent a car for the 4 days. What a blessing!!!

So I flew back to CA on Monday, Oct. 10th, drive to Hume on Tuesday, work all day on Wednesday, work half a day on Thursday, and then have my interview at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday. I have to admit I was pretty nervous. This was it. The BIG Interview. The President and Vice President were going to get to know me and my story and based on that, decide if I would make a good addition to their ministry and community. The interview went really well. They asked me about my testimony and my doctrinal beliefs. We saw eye-to-eye with everything. By the end of the interview, we were joking around with each other (a good sign I think!) At the end of the interview the President shook my hand and said that Bob from HR would be getting ahold of me soon to make the final arrangements. I wish I could have seen my face at that moment. I don't know if I have ever smiled bigger. I wanted to go running a screaming out the door but I had to keep it together until I got back to my lodge room. As soon as I got in my room I let it all out. I was praising God!!! I kept saying, "Oh my gosh..THANK YOU!!! Oh my gosh..oh my gosh..THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!" Tears of joy spilled out of my eyes. I was so incredibly thankful. I called my mom and shared the good news with her. She was just as excited as I was, but when I told her it was as if she already knew. :)

I spent Thursday night celebrating with my friend that I made up there who also works in the kitchen. Her name is Amy. We watched a movie over at her house and then Friday morning we met up for breakfast then spent the rest of the moring exploring the camp, off-roading, climbing in a tree house, and kayaking on the lake. What a wonderful way to spend the morning!

Friday before I left, I met with Andy one last time. He told me officially that I had gotten the job and then we discussed when I would be moving in. I am moving in on Oct. 23rd. It's coming up so fast! I have one week left here in San Jose to say my good-byes to all of my friends and family here and to have one last horrah. They are throwing me a good-bye party on Friday night at the church. It is going to be such a great way to see everyone one last time and to celebrate the memories and discuss their future road trips to Hume to visit me! 

I want to thank everyone who has prayed for me along this journey. Prayer is powerful and it helps so much. I so appreciate everyone who said encouraging words to me and who has prayed with me and has offered me wisdom when I needed it. Your support means so much to me! I love you all!!!

1 comment:

  1. Jai,

    We are so very happy for you! You will be missed by each member of our family. It is so important to be happy in the work you chose. Please stay in contact with us.

    Love,
    Charlie, Jen, Makenna and Courtney

    ReplyDelete